Source to Yahoo: Gordon to enter NBA draft
The news could have arrived in the middle of the day and it would not have surprised anyone.
Just before Sunday night became Monday morning, a source told Marc J. Spears of Yahoo Sports that Arizona freshman Aaron Gordon will forego his remaining three years of eligibility and announce this week he's entering the 2014 NBA draft.
Technically, should Gordon make the announce later Monday, he would have until the next day to withdraw his name and retain his eligibility. But don't hold your breath.
The one-and-done buzz came with Gordon when he arrived in Tucson last summer and he did not disappoint. The forward averaged 12.4 points, eight rebounds and a block per game en route to Pac-12 Conference freshman of the year honors.
Gordon is ranked the eighth-best prospect in this year's draft class, according to DraftExpress.com.
The only question now is who, if anyone, will join him. While in town for the Wooden Awards ceremony, junior guard Nick Johnson told ESPNLA 710 in Los Angeles last week that he was still undecided. Fellow first-year forward Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, a valuable sixth man, also is considering the jump. To a lesser degree, sophomore center Kaleb Tarczewski's name also has circulated but that idea has cooled off considerably since the end of the season.
Early-entry candidates have until April 27 to declare for the draft, which will take place June 26.
Expected to step right in and replace Gordon will be five-star small forward Stanley Johnson, the No. 3-rated overall prospect of the 2014 class, according to Rivals.com. Gordon also arrived as the No. 3 overall prospect last year.
1" align="left" />Click Here to view this Link.Tracy McDannald
GOAZCATS.com Senior Editor